Being stuck on the couch for the past 20 days has had one
silver lining
~~I've got to do quite a bit of reading~~
silver lining
~~I've got to do quite a bit of reading~~
and last night.... I finished this one
I can check it off of my 35 Things listbut better than that....
it was wonderful.
To me....it portrayed
innocence
goodness
hope for a better tomorrow if we stand up for what we believe in
Scout made me want to embrace what is so good about children....
they can see life for what it really is without the blurred vision of
prejudice.
and I loved the relationship that the children had with their father~~
it reminded me of mine with my own girls
I may not always be the most energetic, fun mom on the block
but they know that I love them with my whole entire heart
they can depend on me
and I depend on them
We have each other and that is what matters
What a beautiful story.
Makes me want to try writing.
and I wonder....
why did I have to read some of the most useless books in school
when there are masterpieces like this
Which others have I missed out on that need to go on my
Must Read List??
***I'd love to hear your suggestions***
Chasity





18 comments:
You didn't read this in high school...really? I thought this was required reading for every freshman or sophomore?
Hmmm...I was required to read many of the classics during my 4-years of high school, but then again, I didn't attend public school (not sure if you did or not), but a private, Catholic, all-girl school where lit classes were intense and college-prepatory in nature. Now, don't ask me to sew a button hole or bake a cake from scratch...home economics wasn't allowed...such a shame in my opinion!!!
Thanks for the reminder though...I'd need to read this again, now as both an adult and parent.
Blessings,
Valerie
how funny that you posted this, because i was just wondering if you had read the book yet...i didn't discover this gem until i was in my 30's...and i think i already shared with you that i read it at least once a year...i just love it so...i still haven't seen the movie...i rented it once, then got sick and didn't watch it...have you seen the movie?
valerie~~
i took these honors english courses where we were required to read all these obscure {and sometimes just plain dumb}books....
it was probably better in the more mainstream classes.
hmmm.
lori~~
no...i haven't seen the movie either. too bad we aren't neighbors~ and we could watch it together
Oh Chasity, my mama used to sing Dream a Little Dream to me when I was a wee one.
Yes, I read this classic my Senior year in HS and then again in college but I had to read it later in life to really appreciate it.
Take care girl, my prayers are with you and your sis!!!
That book is a classic for sure. Awesome!
I read it in college. I majored in Elem. Ed and took every lit class there was. I read that in Adolescent Lit. It is really good. One of the few books I remember the Author! We have a client at the hospital who named her dog Harper Lee! She is a special dog and we have to baby her! I am glad you liked it. Have you read any F. Scott Fitzgerald? I loved The Great Gatsby and read several others of his. One of my favorites. I also love Jane Austen. I really like the old english and different spellings. Some find it hard to read.
Hugs, Lisa
Somehow or another, I missed the news that you have been out of commission for the last 20 days! So sorry to hear that but happy that you are using your time to catch up on some reading.
Coming from me, I know this will sound crazy:
I love the movie, but I just couldn't get into the book. I know, I'm a heretic. It really is a wonderful story. I need to try it again and stick with it. I know I'll love it.
Hi Sweetness, Don't you just love it when a book blesses your heart and life. I believe it's a kisses from God for you :)
Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the song on your playlist, I don't know why...silly thing. Anyway Chasity, take care my sweet friend.
Love & hugs
Melly:)
I need to read this again! I think I read it in 8th, but haven't since. My friend had a baby lgirl ast December and named her Harper! :)
Other must read list? Hmm. I have such a hard time with that. I rarely read a book that I truly, truly love. I like a lot of books. One you might enjoy is The Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger. Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews. Even if you don't love baseball, it's a really cute book and written in a series of letters back and forth between a boy and a professional baseball player, so it's unique.
That is a wonderful book. I read it again last summer.
My all time favorite book is Little Women.
Glad you have found a silver lining!
Isn't it a wonderful story?
The Old Man and The Sea is one of my favorites ~ for when you run out of suggestions :o)
Feel better Chas!
Hugs from Nancy & Gus Gus
Chas, I totally ripped off your 35 things idea... but I, um, adjusted the number. Check it out:
http://peytonjenk.blogspot.com/2010/01/25-books-to-read-before-im-26.html
And be sure to notice #14. :)
Thanks for the inspiration!
I have started to re-read the classics. I am currently reading Jane Erie.
Enjoyed my visit..
Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com
Thanks for taking a visit to my blog--if you loved this Harper Lee nook, you will so enjoy The Help, currently on the New York Times bestseller list. With a southern theme, it chronicles ladies in Mississippi and their domestic help--I could not put it down!
Chas, I want to be one of the first ones to get a copy of the book you would write! You are a wonderful writer...
Praying for you girls - and your families!
Love,
Heather
I am so glad you read it...it is my all time favorite. I have never seen that cover...beautiful! Thank you for the updates.
Post a Comment