Thursday, August 20, 2009


I have a little old jar filled with old marbles.....
I love this little jar of marbles.


I love to open it up and get them all out...
rolling them in my hands and relishing every one.


Just when I think I have found my favorite one....
another one catches my eye and it is my new favorite.


Maybe there is something deep and philosophical about them~
~ how the marbles are like us~
~all different and unique and beautiful in their own way~
each with their own slight imperfections....


but I really think it is much simpler....

they are pretty



they are fun

....and it feels good to hold them...

...... little marbles in a jar.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I was just thinking of my jax.I do the same with them.They are rubber and brightly colored.Not like the old ones that were just silver.Thanks for the memories,have a great day!

Kathi Fly said...

I love your marbles! Beautiful photographs and love your website. I have some marbles from my grandmother's house and I do the same thing!!

Maisy said...

I never gave marbles a second thought. I love your perspective.
I too love old jars. I have so many of them that I should list on my Etsy sight. I just can't seem to part from them.
xo

rt said...

Wunderful post, love the jar with marbles.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Boy, this post brought back memories of playing marbles during school recesses. We had all kinds of paths carved in the ground for them to roll along in.

Like you, I think marbles are fascinating. Each unique - just like us!

have a sweet day,
becky
xx

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Boy, this post brought back memories of playing marbles during school recesses. We had all kinds of paths carved in the ground for them to roll along in.

Like you, I think marbles are fascinating. Each unique - just like us!

have a sweet day,
becky
xx

Lori said...

great photos...i really like your marbles in a jar...i don't have any marbles...but, i do keep my berry beads in a jar

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

My son would LOVE a jar full of marbles! They make great photos!

Backyard Candle Co. said...

I never thought of it that way, but it is true!

Coloradolady said...

I love this, I used to have lots of marbles as a kid, and really wish I still had them, and the little bag my mom made for me to carry them in....no telling what happened to them. Have a great VTT and thanks for the memory....

Postcardy said...

I think I still have my old marbles in a candy jar--somewhere.

Melinda said...

Super post! I love the colors of marbles they are fun to play with and look at!

Melinda

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

This is a beautiful post, Chass...I remember the boys in the neighborhood playing with marbles when we were growing up...do boys still play marbles or are they just beautiful pieces to display in a jar?? Either way, your collection is gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

oh girl I think you are on to something here! I love that analogy...as for the marbles...I love them too~xo

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Marbles, beautiful marbles.Marbles everyone thought I had lost but I have kept them hidden at the back of the closet in a jar. These are the marbles of my childhood that were held to the light, played with and swapped with friends. Thanks for the memories. Have a great day!

Kayleen said...

oH this little marble post makes me happy!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Such a pretty little collection. I like how they are cold too. Isn't that weird.

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of my childhood! Now i wish i still had them!

Anonymous said...

Chas,
I knew that I had lost my marbles. Now I know where they are.
You need to tell your grandma and grandpa how much you like marbles, cause they have that huge jar.
Love you,
Mom

Marie said...

Those are wonderful. If I could wear them all on a necklace I just might!

The Stylish House said...

Some of them are like little works of art!
Cathy

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Oh I love your marbles! I had marbles too as a kid, and I loved them! Especially the cats eye ones.
I used to take the long piece out of the radiator and roll them down! So fun!!

debbie

Lisa said...

I love them!!
Hugs, Lisa

CC said...

The marbles are wonderful..the colors so vibrant and beautiful. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

I loved marbles when I was a little girl. I used to collect them. I didn't ever play with them because I didn't want them to get all scratched up..... what a waste!

I should a played. :)

~Liz

Carrie said...

When I was a little girl I loved to play with my three brothers' marbles, but was not allowed to join in their games.

Anonymous said...

Little marbles in a jar ARE cool.
I covet thy marbles.

Ruby said...

Pretty marbles. Pretty jar. Your post shed a new light on a simple toy. Happy VTT!

jlshall said...

How pretty! I used to collect marbles when I was a little girl. I don't think kids play with marbles much anymore. You could find them all over the playground when I was in school. Guess that means I must be "vintage" myself!

Grace said...

I love stuff like this... it cheers up the room. I love your marbles, very colorful. :)

Nancy Yoakum said...

Have you been to Blue Moon Marble Co. in Bonner Springs, KS? I've hear it's really, really cool....you might want to google it and have a field trip! It's in a funky building that is easy to drive by at first, so keep you eyes wide open. Coming from the eat it will be on your left side!

Enjoy!

Nancy

Keetha Broyles said...

Oooo Ooooo OOOOOO teacher!!! (Said while waving my hand in the air)

WE have some of THOSE at our house too!!!!

paige said...

great photos!!
i love marbles
but i think i've lost mine today!

have a great weekend
xo

Neabear said...

Marbles are cool. I can remember my brothers having marbles. Don't know if we have any around anymore. They have such interesting colors. Great pictures!!

Skoots1moM said...

pretty marbles...
used to love playing them, but could never win.