
Some blogs I have read recently have made my heart ache. The source of that ache is this... there seems to be so many moms that are dreading their summer vacation with their kids.
Why is that?
We read in Psalm 127:3
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord...
They are a gift.
A blessing.
We have been commanded to love them and teach them and train them.
It isn't optional.
Deuteronomy 6:7 goes so far as to say "You shall teach them {{God's laws}} diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
How are we going to do that if we send our kids away for the whole summer?
We have to be with them to give them the proper instruction. Sitting with them....walking with them....talking with them.
Mothers are told to love their children.
Jesus loved children and wanted to spend time with them. Despite how busy he was, he did not turn them away. Jesus wasn't annoyed by the little children.
We should follow his example and learn to not be annoyed by our children. They have been given to us only for a brief time. In the blink of an eye, we will turn to look and they will be all grown up and gone.
I'm not saying that every day is going to be a tea party...there will be struggles and arguments and tantrums to deal with. And yes, we need a little time to ourselves to regroup and refresh ourselves. But to think of our children as a burden is an insult. It insults our Heavenly Father who has given them to us and it insults our children.
They know if we want to spend time with them or not. And they long for that time together.
Embrace your children. You will never regret it.





20 comments:
I love this post. Being a mother is not easy, but this is the "job" I always longed for. I never felt that my mom didn't want us around and I hope my own would never feel that way. We all need breaks, but I am the one that is blessed by them...even on the hard days.
Wonderful message...it is amazing how quickly the years fly by after they come into our lives. It seems like just yesterday they were little babies, and now they are riding bicycles, doing flips on the trampoline, swinging by themselves (who will I push?). This is why we do our "Family Fun Night" once a week...we go to a park, go for a hike, play games, just be happy being together. We love it, we love planning it, the kids ALWAYS want to know what we're doing Friday night! Love them...teach them...train them...treasure them! Thanks for the thoughts!
Oh, you are so right. I may not have done everything right when my kids were little, but I do know this....I LOVED them being home for the summer. We had lots of fun, went lots of places, spent lots of time together...I always felt sad when it was time for them to start back to school.
In a blink of any eye...they grow up and are gone....believe me...you will wonder where the years have past to.
what a wonderful post!!! i am so glad that my boys are home for summer vacation...my youngest will be staying with my family in tennessee for a month...i miss him already, and he hasn't even left yet!!!
I wrote about post awhile back on Mother's Day called "A mom" It's about how that was all I ever wanted to be. I will always feel that way, but I think the summer months are tough when you're used to having the day all to yourself and that may be why you've seen posts such as this.
When the kids are little, they're pretty easily amused, but as they get older, they get more demanding about summer plans and what they expect out of them. It can be hard to come up with ways to entertain them when all they want to do is go to the mall and complain when you try to do something you think might be fun. It doesn't mean that I don't love them when I get irritated and they know that, but it can be very frustrating at times, especially now that mine are 13 and 19. Having fun with the parentals is not cool at those ages, but we still try, much to their chagrin ;)
rue
you are so right, i love summer vacationn with my kids, it really is to short. my kids love just being home. thanks for reminding everone whats really important.
AMEN!!! I am so glad someone brought this up, I am a working mom and it kills me to leave everyday, but I HAVE too, no choice in the matter...and to think if I had to chance to take my boy to the pool, to sit on the floor and play, to go to the beach when we wanted I would love that, it breaks my heart to hear the dread people feel with summer vacation...my mom never felt that way about us, I can't imagine feeling that way about my children...perhaps I would feel different if i was home everyday, but I sure hope not.
When I was fortunate enough to be home with my children in the summers, I would get up early, do all I needed to do in the house, pack a lunch and we were at the pool by 10:00. We would stay as long as they wanted, eat lunch there, get ice cream from the ice cream truck when he came through. It was GREAT!
How I long for those days now that they are 16 and 19 and Cameron lifeguards at that very same pool he used to have his floaties on in. I wish they were little again. I always knew I would be a mom that hung on their leg as they tried to leave...and I still am!!
Have a great week!
Lou Cinda :)
OH no! I haven't read any of those I don't have any of my own but my nephews are across the street and I can't wait to be able to take them places on my day off and have sleep overs!!
HUgs, Lisa
I love it when people think like I do and love it even more when they post about it so that I can read it!
To be completely honest, I know how it feels when a parent makes you feel like an inconvenience. I have to admit, I am sure that i have made my boys feel like that a time or two, but I have vowed to be a different kind of parent than I had. I look forward to having my kids around, they are a joy to me. Not to say we don't have our days, but all in all, its pretty darn great. Thanks for this post, it made me think and hopefully it will others as well.:)
i so agree. the more i see them growing up before my eyes, the more i long to spend time with them.
we leave saturday for 7 days---just our little family & i love it.
This is one of the reasons I homeschooled. I love being surrounded by my children, even as they enter their teen and young adult years...still love to be in the midst of them. And it does go by way way too fast. It was bitter sweet for me when my third child decided to go to our local H.S because I miss her. But with love I let go and she is blossoming...and I've remained home to be with her in the hours she is present. My youngest will join her this Fall and I will miss him too. So this summer is one of joy because they are all home more, including my second whom is a college student. The cottage is full of laughing, chatting, smiling, hugging, and crying too. Togetherness is so pleasant...slow, simple, summer blissful days.
I wondered if you homeschooled. Since I'm just getting to know you, and haven't had time to go back far on your blog to see.
I have four children all homeschooled their entire lives. Two oldest are homeschool grads, second graduated two yrs. early and attends our community college. She loves it and is getting all A's. Many of the local homeschoolers attend this community college so she knows lots of the students. My third decided to go to our near by H.S this year and though it was hard for me because I love homeschooling so much, it was good for her. It has even brought us closer because I am still here for her, mothering and helping with her studies. My youngest is going too because he has a dream to play football, and sports are not available in our homeschool community. He begins football camp tonight. I try to be involved in our community as much as possible and so my children are too...they are outgoing and volunteer alot. We are taking each year at a time now, so they could return home to school. I'm hoping there will be grandchildren to help teach one day. My oldest daughter wants to homeschool too. It's made us such a close family, though we've had our trials, we all love each other so much and enjoy being together.
One thing I miss this summer is preusing the homeschool curriculum catalogs...Oh, how I love to buy new books!!!!
You brought tears to my eyes....I am soo happy to have Hunter home! He is my one and only and I feel blessed to have him in my life! He has also as he has grown become my buddy! Thank-you for the reminder...time is sooo so short. cherry
HELLO MY FRIEND,
First let me wish CHASITY A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. I always tell everyone I have 2 birthdays...the day I was born and the day I was born again.
NOW........I LOVE...LOVE....ADORE...AM CLAPPING AND GIVING YOU A STANDING OVATION FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL POST ABOUT CHILDREN. YOU ARE SOOOOO VERY RIGHT.
Our children are everything...yes there may be hours they drive us nuts but I loved summer vacation with my children and they grow up over night and you can't get that beautiful time back. I have spent most of my daughters life praying she would live and then making special time for my son so he would never, ever feel left out.
I agree with the coloradolady....I may not have done everything right but I always wanted my children around me, where we could do things as a family....I wanted to be their teacher...not society.
YOU ARE A BLESSING
hugs and more hugs
debbie
A wonderful post.
I am a grammy raising my grandson and I have to really watch myself. I sometimes feel cheated but your post really opened my eyes. Thank you so much for such a special post!
xoxo
Diane
Chasity, I am a bit behind. Thank you so much for this wonderful post. It does go in the blink of an eye. Take it from a mom who just picked up her 18 year old son from his month long missionary stay in Africa. I was overwhelmed with emotion when he got off the plane and walked into my arms to hug me. I love my precious children so much...but it is so easy to get too busy and forget how much! I am so thankful for them and awed by the responsibility God places in our hands to train them up in His ways. I love you! Thanks for the wonderful encouragement.
Love, Debbie
Just loved your post..You know my son is in Florida with my mom and sister...He was gone for one day and I was crying like a baby...I miss him so much...You don't realize what you got until it's gone...I love being a mom...I sometimes wish I didn't have to work so I can enjoy every moment with my son...Anyway, hope all is well...
Stephenie
Such a profound post and a wonderful photo of you and your adorable girls!!!
I never regretted ANY time that I have had with my boys. My only regret is not getting on the floor more often to play with them when they were little.
hugs,
becky
Post a Comment