Charity suffereth long and is kind;
charity envieth not;
is not puffed up,
doth not behave itself unseemly;
seeketh not her own,
is not easily provoked,
thinketh no evil.
Rejoiceth not in iniquity,
but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things,
hopeth all things,
endureth all things.
1 Corinthians 13:4~7
I am behind on a few things I was hoping to share. The love of my life and I recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, and I planned on a long post about our exploits(along with fifty other random ones). Hubby thought that hiking the Grand Canyon from rim to river to rim would be a SUPER way to spend our 2oth. (I still think he was trying to get out of celebrating our 21st by doing me in!) Every page on the Grand Canyon site said "WARNING do NOT attempt to hike from rim to river to rim in one day!!!" My uncle who lives in Phoenix and who is a hiking enthusiast said, "I hiked from rim to river to rim in one day, once in my life. I couldn't walk the next day." Nice.
Did we do it. Yes. Did I survive? Just barely. Did our marriage survive? You betcha. It was quite an accomplishment to achieve together.
But on to this post. I don't feel like I can get onto posting about other things until I get this one out. My heart is aching for so many hurting marriages. Angry, hurting men and discontented, angry women. Couples that are falling apart daily before our eyes. Couples that want to get it right, but are just not sure how. Striving for the goal, but not reading The Map to get there.
Did we do it. Yes. Did I survive? Just barely. Did our marriage survive? You betcha. It was quite an accomplishment to achieve together.
But on to this post. I don't feel like I can get onto posting about other things until I get this one out. My heart is aching for so many hurting marriages. Angry, hurting men and discontented, angry women. Couples that are falling apart daily before our eyes. Couples that want to get it right, but are just not sure how. Striving for the goal, but not reading The Map to get there.
Marriage isn't for wimps. It's not for the "I want it my way" types, or for the "I give up" types. I've been those types. Satan has had the both of us wrapped around his finger before. He tried to take us to rock bottom, but you know who's there? The ROCK, Jesus Christ and our wonderful Heavenly Father. His wonderful word, His wonderful church full of faithful friends to help us find our way back to HIS way for marriage.
It's not for the faint hearted. It's hard work. It's Heaven on Earth. It's all fairy tales, and dirty dishes, late night romance and dancing in the living room, aggravation that he didn't get you an anniversary card, heaping your heart over flowing full of thankfulness that he holds you so tightly every night, hard work. It's forgiveness and laughter and happily ever after, did he leave his dirty clothes on the floor again? It's less of self and more of him, because of HIM. It's stop being selfish and get your head out of the clouds, It's let's do it God's way and not my way. It's ALL about agape love, and then the romance, and lovin' fun good times come. It's mud tracked on the carpet I just cleaned, It's being chased down the hall and carried off to our room, wrestled and kissed, while the kids laugh...It's remembering that I am created to be his help meet...did he leave the toilet seat up? All rolled up into one. It is HARD WORK...And it is worth every second spent in prayer, worth every bit of hard work, sweat and tears you put in it. It takes conscious, deliberate action, discipline, selflessness, not selfishness, to make it work and it does NOT happen by chance.
It's not for the faint hearted. It's hard work. It's Heaven on Earth. It's all fairy tales, and dirty dishes, late night romance and dancing in the living room, aggravation that he didn't get you an anniversary card, heaping your heart over flowing full of thankfulness that he holds you so tightly every night, hard work. It's forgiveness and laughter and happily ever after, did he leave his dirty clothes on the floor again? It's less of self and more of him, because of HIM. It's stop being selfish and get your head out of the clouds, It's let's do it God's way and not my way. It's ALL about agape love, and then the romance, and lovin' fun good times come. It's mud tracked on the carpet I just cleaned, It's being chased down the hall and carried off to our room, wrestled and kissed, while the kids laugh...It's remembering that I am created to be his help meet...did he leave the toilet seat up? All rolled up into one. It is HARD WORK...And it is worth every second spent in prayer, worth every bit of hard work, sweat and tears you put in it. It takes conscious, deliberate action, discipline, selflessness, not selfishness, to make it work and it does NOT happen by chance.
Besides His Holy word, here are a few books that have helped me (that are helping me), though I give a disclaimer to not agreeing scripturally with every thing in the last two books, they are excellent encouragement for Godly marriages.
The Challenge of Being a Wife
Created to Be His Helpmeet
The Excellent Wife
I am praying for all of us to make our marriages what God would have them to be.
May God bless you as you strive for Heaven on Earth~
a very blessed wife,
Debbie





11 comments:
Debbie what a great post....I am sure it will help many people to at least think about their marriage and what they can do to improve it. (I use to grumble at my husband for leaving his clothes on the floor beside the hamaper instead of putting them in the hamper) now that I am widowed I would give anthing to be able to pick up his clothes and put them into the hamper again. What a waste of time grumbling.....you are very blessed and just knowing how much you realize this makes my heart happy. Prayers for Shauna always.......:-) Hugs
DEAR DEBBIE,
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST. MY HUSBAND AND I FOUND OURSELVES AT THAT ROCK...satan WANTS NOTHING BETTER THAN TO DESTROY THE HOME. THE WORLD COULD AND WOULD SO BENEFIT FROM YOUR CONCERNS AND TOUGH LOVE. MR. SIMPLY AND I WILL BE MARRIED 37 YEARS...AND IT IS WORK AND RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER AND CHRIST MUST BE THE HEAD OF THE HOUSE...ANY WAY IN OUR HOUSE.
HOW IS SHAUNA DOING...
MY PRAYERS ARE CONTINOUS FOR HER AND YOUR FAMILIES.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE
(Happy Anniversary!) This was such an excellent read, I'm going to pass it on. So many families are hurting, you're so right, it breaks your heart. The enemy is a raging lion, seeking whom he may devour. He preys on the lonely minds of the singles, and gnaws the chords that hold a marriage together. Without Christ as our focus we falter! After my Husband's brother committed suicide we found ourselves at quite a crossroad. Do we spend our time trying to please each other, or do we spend it pleasing the Father, in turn meeting each others needs more than we could ever dream. Marriage takes work! Work, and faith that Jesus will finish the work He has started in us.
Great post!
This is SO true!! Marriage is hard, but so wonderful when you give it your all and congrats on 20 years. That is such a huge accomplishment these days!
Thanks so much for posting this, Mrs. Debbie! I love you
Hi Debbie, thank you so much for your beautiful post and even though I'm not married I do hope to be someday and hopefully soon..hehe..I want to be the woman and wife that God created me to be and your post has so inspired me not to give up and for that I, thank you!
Happy 20th Anniversary to you and your man!
hugs
Melly:)
a wonderful post debbie.
so needed at this time.
looking forward to reading the book you listed that i don't have.
marriage is work.
lots of hard work.
and worth every minute of it.
thanks for this encouragement.
love you~
chas
What a wonderful post and so true, I feel like I can't really be commenting, to the true nature of this post, but thank you for reminding us that marriage/relationships are hard work, but in the end they are worth every single minute we are allotted to be with that person! Happy anniversary~
Beautifully written Debbie! Thank you so much for sharing your heart. What you wrote is so true!
Happy Anniversary!
Great post, great reminder that marriage is hard work. I tell those who ask for advice that we have to wake up ever morning and decide that we are gonna love our husbands. I ask myself what can I do today to make his life better. If we only worked half as hard on our marriages as we did the datin' scene the world would be a better place.
I sure enjoyed your pics. God bless ya Debbie and have a glorious day!!!
Hello Debbie,
I'm not yet married. But we realized, while we were talking about it - it is a decision. Yes, the woman inside me would have loved all the romantic things and frills ans being swept away with it all. But I agree and as far as I see it, marriage is more than that.
In marriage or in life, whatever problems come our way helps us to be stronger.
I remember during college (when asked) or in highschool (where you sign slam books LOL ) about love, I always go back to how the Bible defines it. Knowing that it isn't perfect all the time (heck, nobody's perfect anyway) and that it is more than romantic love.
Mizpah,
Li
Post a Comment