Where do I begin this story?
Hmm...let's back up a few months, to when I first saw her walking down our road. She seemed sweet enough, though perhaps a little lost. As a matter of fact she began to walk with me and my girlfriend as we went for an early evening walk.
I admit, it was a case of mistaken identity from the get go. You see, I was sure she was the gal from up the road. The one that lived at the very tippity top of my BIG hill. She even followed us all the way up there (and it's a looooong way up). But she wouldn't stay. And if a dog could laugh, when we got to the top, she would have. The expression on my face had to be priceless as I did a double take. I had tried to lure this little Boxer back up to what I thought was her home. Seems I was mistaken, as the Boxer at the top of the hill came out to greet us and her. For now we will call Neighbor Boxer, Casanova, though we were formerly introduced to him later. Yep.
There I stood, looking from one Boxer to the other. Neighbor Boxer and Dumped Boxer. They were identical in color, though this new little gal was smaller, and, um, just that. A gal. . And as time seemed to tell, a dumped, half starved, formerly beaten, VERY timid Boxer gal, not too thrilled with the idea of being taken in and tamed by our family.
Now to name this poor, half starved, not the neighbor's , Dumped dog.
I would love to say I had an epiphany and was struck with this brilliant, perfect name for this little gal. However, truth be told, we have some good friends who have a boy Boxer and his name is Duke(no, not Casanova from the tippity top of the hill). Their Boxer (or Boster as their three year old says) looks just like our Boxer (though she could barely have been referred to as a possession of ours at that point) so, you guessed it, we named her Duchess. Like royalty. Sounds rich doesn't it? Hold that thought.
We began to feed the poor thing hoping she would see our kind and gentle ways (when the boys weren't chasing each other, whooping like wild Indians and pretending to re-enact world war II). We were hopeful she might actually tame down...
Not a chance. She wouldn't come near us. She would eat her food when we weren't around.
She would come within a few feet of us while we were petting our dear Beloved Shep (our 13 year old Great Pyrrenes who recently passed away).
Or when Neighbor Boxer came down to visit she would get a little closer to us. (We found out Neighbor dog was not named Casanova, but Bruiser and boy did he have a crush on Duchess. Hmm...we should have thought about that a little more.)
... once or twice she would run up and lick my hand then make a hasty retreat.
Days and weeks passed by. Shep left us and she got even more skittish. It wasn't looking good for our family to have a new Canine pet. A stray that we fed yes. But not a pet.
Then she disappeared. For two days we saw neither hide nor hair of her. Christmas morning Sports Boy went to put out her dog food just in case she showed up. And what do you know. There was Dumped dog Duchess curled up in the corner of the playhouse on her sheepskin rug. Not moving. Not running away. With ice frozen on her fur. It didn't look good to us. Smarty Pants Son, who is really a tender heart, immediately went outside in the snow and carried her in. Her back left leg was totally useless.
Two days later we were at the vet with Dumped dog Duchess, three kiddos, an x-ray of a broken leg, a mom wondering what to do and a cell phone about to be used to call dad.
Did I mention, like fifty times, that this was a DUMPED dog? We love animals. And we take good care of our animals. But we are not made of money and the vet was talking big dollar signs. Chinga, chinga, ching.
Dialing hubby. " Hi honey..."as I relay the vet's info...the dog's info...the dollar info.. The kids are looking at me...I am glad this is not my decision to make...and I am also glad that I have a tenderhearted husband.
*************************************************************
So, now we have a formerly Dumped dog named Duchess. She has had surgery and a pin put in her femur near her hip. The vet thinks she probably got kicked by a horse, not hit by a car for the bone to be so fragmented but no outside damage. They wired the splintered bone pieces together along with the pin. And she is tame now. She lays on a blanket in the middle of our living room. She is the center of attention. Hubby calls her sweet heart. She is so tame, we have to carry her outside to go pottie, because it is too cold for her to want to go out there on her own.
Nice.
Then, last night, her injured leg started bleeding where the pin broke through her skin. Ick-ola! Not to mention ouch! Back to the vet we go with formerly Dumped dog, now for sure called Duchess.
Vet, "Yes, another x-ray will be needed."
Me. "o.k."
Vet, " The bone fragments have come unwired, but the pin looks good and is not moving. Don't worry. It's normal for the pin to poke through". (ick again). "She'll be fine."
At this point the vet is holding up the x-ray and pointing to the pin, and the new bone growth.
But I am not looking at the pin. I am looking at a bunch of little spinal cords and other body parts in the abdomen of my dog.
The stray we picked up.
The formerly Dumped dog, Duchess.
I look at the x-ray, then quickly I turn to our vet and say incredulously. "Are those spinal cords..."sputter, sputter ..."...are those puppies? Is she going go have puppies?"
My vet smiles, and says "Why, yes she is. Wow! Really soon!" He says. "Like maybe within, oh, I'd say a week to ten days."
Nice.
Have I mentioned how terrific Boxers are?
Really.
I hear they make great pets.
~~~And on a very important side note. Chasity had her x-ray today and the bones are healing nicely. She is not going to need surgery and, unlike my dog, the x-ray did not show her to be pregnant.~~~
Warmly, Debbie
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





28 comments:
Oh I am sooooooo glad that I signed on one more time! My gosh ~ this little dog needs to have a middle name....like.....LUCKY! So happy that she found all of yu and that you have taken this sweet little soul in ~ we will all be waiting to hear good things about her progress!
Thank goodness no more surgeries!
Hugs, Nancy
I will ask around to see if anyone needs a puppy.
What a great story. I am sure that Duchess will have a wonderful life with your family. It sure seems like ya'll have a lot of love to share.
Thanks for stopping by my new blog, All Things Home, and leaving a kind comment. I love words of affirmation. One of my love languages. :)
Blessings to you from me.
Cute story Debbie! Yall are so sweet to take care of her and she has a real fairy tale ending, from the streets to much love and pampering! I so wish we could have a dog, but as you know we cannot because we travel too much and we have our beloved kitty! I cannot wait to see the little tykes...
That is HYSTERICAL. Be sure to let me know when the puppies are born... I bet full-blooded Boxer puppies are adorable!
(not that I want one... I just want to come to your house and see them)
It sounds likd formally Dumped Duchess fast became a member of your family. It should not be too hard to find good homes for the puppies once you pry them away from the kiddos! I'm so glad to hear Chasity is healing nicely, poor girl!
Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day. My prayers are with your family, Debbie.
oh my...
I like the ending to your post...
that is too funny.
Hehehe, this is so great! :) The last part is my favorite.
As a rescuer, dog trainer, dog mommie, etc. I would like to personally thank you for all you are doing for Dutchess! I am thankful there are people in this world, like you.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea
I so wish I lived closer as I would of loved to have one of Duchess's pups. I am in the process of looking for a dog, I want to give him/her a good home and I desperately need the company. Being a widow on my own I have a lot of times and much love to give a pet.
I love how you are taking care of Duchess, show what a wonderful family you all are......:-) Hugs
This was TOO funny, especially with the song playing in the background, I throughly enjoyed reading it. What a sweet little Duchess, keep us informed on her pups! Everyone is a sucker for puppies. ;)
How wonderful you all did that! I love that you shared that story! Pictures of those puppies I hope we are able to see:)
And for Chasity's x-rays...that is fantastic!
I'm a sucker for pets too! She sounds like a big sweet heart! Our pug had to have her leg pinned twice, but it never worked. She kept snapping the pin in half. She's surprisingly well with a bum leg years later. The pins are pretty icky though aren't they! Post pictures of the pups when they arrive - I am sure they are going to be stunning!
What a lovely story.I adore animals.I have 4 of my own.Two dogs Westie and Border Collie and 2 cats.I cant imagine people dumping off a dog somewhere and having no sense of how its going to eat etc.There are humane Societies for that,But truth is "they simply dont care".
Ive always heard Boxers make great pets.My beautician has 2.Tell me about the cost of the VETS,outrageous, but its well worth it in the end.cant wait to see the adorbale things.I think I want one,LOL
Nice to hear the good news about Shauna.I hope theres more good news to come.God Bless!
It seems Duchess has stolen your hearts! Good luck with the unexpected puppies. Oh dear, it seems like that's the way things go with stays.
Loved your post! We are boxer people - love them so much! As I write this, my 3 year old daughter is rolling around on the floor with our 2 year old male! We have thought about getting him a friend...
what a sweet story about your Duchess...she is lucky indeed to have strayed into your lives and hearts!!!
SO happy to hear that Chasity is healing up:)
Oh my word! What a great story and so good of you to take her in!
Also glad to hear that Chasity is healing well.... and umm, that her arm x-ray did not show her prego... LOL.
What a sweet story about your new family mamber. I wish I lived close enough to take one of those puppies when they are ready to go! Good luck...she, apparently, was smart enough to find a good family to befriend. :-)
You have such a tender hearted husband! What a great story about your new duchess! It is so good to hear that Chasity's arm is healing up!
What a sweet story! She was just meant to find you. Boxers are great, my brother in law had one and we puppysat for a bit. He was full of energy and a little nuts but had a great heart. The dog...not my brother in law. lol
~Michelle
That's a great story. She (and the puppies) found a great home! We are also super happy for Chas!!!
WOW, Is Dutchess ever lucky to have picked you as an owner:) You and your family have got to be the kindest people ever. I can't wait to see pictures of the puppies! Oh and puppy breath is the best:)
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens
I am sorry, but I am laughing...oh I am laughing. I LOVE this story...God Bless YOU Debbie. Oh I just love it. So will they be little Casanovas? or is the Father unknown? Please give us updates with lots of pictures!!!
Debbie, this is such a sweet story! And Duchess is gonna be a momma! How cute!!!
xx
becky
Ooooooooooooh, poor little Duchess. I sooo feel your pain! All those decisions. You want to do good for her, but it IS expensive and it's not like she was even responding to your family at the time! I hope she is better and it is all working out.
Duchess is VERY lucky to find another sucker like the one that lives here in Ohio (me LOL). They always find the ones that can't say no, don't they? Good luck with the puppies and congratulations grandma ;)
xo
Oh my stars! I LOVE this story! It is hilarious and touching and wonderful! Let us know how the pregnancy progresses!!
Keeping everyone in my prayers!
Lou Cinda
Post a Comment