Growing up, my family didn't have a lot of money and books were a rare and precious commodity. I loved to read and can remember back to first grade...my first trips to the school library....with all those books lining the shelves in front of me. It was the biggest treat to step through those glass doors into this world awaiting me.
A world full of adventures to be taken.
I loved picking out just the right one...{usually a book about horses or dogs or some other animal}...and settling into a little bean bag chair in some corner. Just me and my new book.
A world full of adventures to be taken.
I loved picking out just the right one...{usually a book about horses or dogs or some other animal}...and settling into a little bean bag chair in some corner. Just me and my new book.
But let me tell you...I have a terrible memory. Really bad. REALLY. So I don't remember what most of the books I read were about much less what the titles were. That being said....I'm taking you on a little trip down memory lane....it's a very sketchy path...watch your step.
For many months, I kept trying to think of a book that I had read as a young girl. I was wanting to read it to my girls. I knew that I loved it but all I could remember was it was about a girl and her horse that crossed through an old gate and went back in time. There they met another girl who rode horses sidesaddle. That's it. That is all my brain could come up with. No ideas on the title whatsoever. It was driving me crazy trying to come up with something more concrete. Finally I decided to do a google search.
I first tried very specific word searches but didn't have much luck....like...
girl sidesaddle gate horse book.....
Time for a different approach.
I typed in horse books. I was led to a site called ponydom.com. And there was a button for juvenile fiction~click~ I began reading through the extensive list of children's books on horses.
Suddenly...I stopped in my tracks.
Can I Get There By Candlelight?
That's it!!!! I knew it the moment I saw it.
You can't believe how excited I was.
Open a new tab....to the public library.....
There was one copy in the system. I immediately put it on hold....picked it up two days later....read it....loved it all over again.
For many months, I kept trying to think of a book that I had read as a young girl. I was wanting to read it to my girls. I knew that I loved it but all I could remember was it was about a girl and her horse that crossed through an old gate and went back in time. There they met another girl who rode horses sidesaddle. That's it. That is all my brain could come up with. No ideas on the title whatsoever. It was driving me crazy trying to come up with something more concrete. Finally I decided to do a google search.
I first tried very specific word searches but didn't have much luck....like...
girl sidesaddle gate horse book.....
Time for a different approach.
I typed in horse books. I was led to a site called ponydom.com. And there was a button for juvenile fiction~click~ I began reading through the extensive list of children's books on horses.
Suddenly...I stopped in my tracks.
Can I Get There By Candlelight?
That's it!!!! I knew it the moment I saw it.
You can't believe how excited I was.
Open a new tab....to the public library.....
There was one copy in the system. I immediately put it on hold....picked it up two days later....read it....loved it all over again.

It had a sadder ending than I remember
{ok ~ let's face it...I didn't remember the ending at all}
but still.
It transported me {and this time my girls went with me} to another place and time.
It was lovely to revisit this old friend.
How many miles to Babylon?
Three score miles and ten.
Can I get there by candlelight?
Yes, and back again.
If your heels are nimble and light,
You can get there by candlelight.
{ok ~ let's face it...I didn't remember the ending at all}
but still.
It transported me {and this time my girls went with me} to another place and time.
It was lovely to revisit this old friend.
How many miles to Babylon?
Three score miles and ten.
Can I get there by candlelight?
Yes, and back again.
If your heels are nimble and light,
You can get there by candlelight.
~Mother Goose
I'm always delighted by a really good book.
Do you have books that you read as a child that
stayed with you for life?
What was your favorite?
Maybe you can read it again this summer...
snuggled into a bean bag chair.
Do you have books that you read as a child that
stayed with you for life?
What was your favorite?
Maybe you can read it again this summer...
snuggled into a bean bag chair.
Have a wonderful week
lotsalove~
Chasity
lotsalove~
Chasity





13 comments:
How wonderful that you found it!
I've been seaching for a series about the Presidents and their wives that left a profound effect on me as a child. No luck yet.
Hi, Chas... I will have to remember this one for gifts for girls. Sounds wonderful
XO,
Sheila :-)
Great post!!! I, too, love reading some of my favorite books with my children! I have many! One is the Velveteen Rabbit. I loved this book as a child!
Hi Gals!
I came over from Acorn Cottage, and am delighted to find you. I looked through your blog and just love the simplicity and loveliness of it!!
I, too, have a similar extra income goal, but am not sure what of the many things I enjoy to pursue. It's in God's hands...just waiting for the answer!
I'll be back often!
Have a blessed week!
Becky
I remember reading Heidi when I was a child and loving it. A couple of years ago I read it again, this time with my Daughter and she loved it too...some things never change....
i'm glad that you found your beloved book...i never heard of that one...i loved {and still do} to read when i was young...and i had SO many favorites that it would turn into a blog post if i were to list them all...some of them i still read today...i can read a favorite book over and over...
Nice post Chasity! I too was a fixture at the school library when I was young. I remember that my biggest goal (1st or 2nd grade?) was to be able to read one of the 'big' books....meaning thicker, longer stories. I was a huge fan of Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. I still read about a (big) book a week, although my tastes have changed a great deal... :-)
Tami E.
Books are magical!!! I agree! What a sweet story! I will have to look for this one!
Hugs, Lisa
Thanks for sharing about this book.
Hi Chastity!
Amy has tried everything on the market, and the only thing that has not burned and allowed her to eat was this mouth rinse. I mailed her 3 bottles that will be there in the morning, and I found another 3 bottles that I am going to regular mail. It really is great stuff. Thanks for checking tho we so appreciate every and all suggestions. The oncologist have mixed up all sorts of stuff for Amy but this is the only that has given her relief. Country hug, Sherry
I love books....I always have! I don't have a favorite book from growing up but I remember reading Charlotte's Web and crying for the first time reading a book.
What a lovely post! So glad you remembered the name of the book. Doesn't that make you crazy when you can't think of something?
I'm thinking . . . thinking real hard . . . :-( I can't remember. All I remember is that I read textbooks and play a lot LOL. See, my mind is about jumping ropes, hide-and-seek, and other group games that I don't know how to translate in English :-)
When I was 13 (highschool),there's one book that a friend shared with me. It's Anne of Green Gables. And that's the book I read in the school library. I like hanging out in the school library. And I like sitting on the floor near those big windows, the sun shining through.
Oh, and about reading the book again I once read a long time ago? Well I did :-) Up to the 5th series and I'm stuck. I can't find the 2 or was it 3 remaining books of Anne.
Mizpah,
Li
Post a Comment