In January 1996, a minister named Joe Wright from the Central Christian Church of Wichita Kansas was asked to open the new session of the State Senate with prayer.
This is the prayer that he gave~
Heavenly Father
We come before You today to ask
Your forgiveness and to seek Your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says
"Woe to those who call evil good"
but that is exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values.
We confess that we have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word
and called it moral pluralism.
We have worshiped other gods and called it multiculturalism.
We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle.
We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.
We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation.
We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare.
We have killed our unborn and called it choice.
We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable.
We have neglected to discipline our children
and called it self esteem.
We have abused power and called it politic savvy.
We have coveted our neighbor's possessions and
called it ambition.
We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography
and called it freedom of expression.
We have ridiculed the time honored values of our forefathers
and called it enlightenment.
Search us Oh God and know our hearts today,
try us and see if there be some wicked way in us.
Cleanse us from every sin and set us free.
Guide and bless these men and women who have been sent here
by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained
by You to govern this great state.
Grant them your wisdom to rule and may their
decisions direct us to the center of your will.
I ask it in the name of your son, the living Savior,
Jesus Christ
Amen.
The minister left the room...not knowing the wake he left behind.
One legislator walked out during this prayer in protest.
Others were angry and called the minister "intolerant".
Aren't you sick of that word!?
He later said~
I certainly did not mean to be offensive to individuals but I don't apologize for the truth.
The whole point was to say that we all have sins that we need to repent -
all of us.
The problem I guess is that you're not supposed to get too specific
when you're talking about sin.
This prayer was given 10 years ago.
I don't see that we have improved our condition much
in those 10 years.
Christian beliefs are still the majority in the United States.
It's time to get specific about sin.
It's time to get angry about sin.
It's time that we stop standing quietly by and letting the
minority rule.
It's time to let our leaders know what we stand for.
We need to make calls.
We need to offer prayers.
We need to let our light shine.






20 comments:
Amen!! Thank you Sweetness for posting this..I love how God can use anything to talk to us.
hugs
Melly:)
This is a wonderful prayer. And, yes I am so tired of the word intolerant.
Amen sister!!!
AMEN! Truth well spoken!
well, hee hee...i can just imagine the looks on some of those faces when he left the room...they didn't know what they were in for, did they...sometimes the truth hurts...it doesn't make it any less true though...thanks for sharing Chasity...
I've heard this prayer before and there is so much truth contained within. Thank you for sharing this today and have a blessed weekend.
Thank you for posting this ~ God bless you and America!
YES! This man spoke the truth. He stood up for the truth. He defended the truth. May we all be as unshaken as he was that day!
I am with you all on this one! We need to pray this prayer every day!
Hugs, Lisa
just this morning, my mom and i were talking about how christians have become so casual and laxed... so persuaded by the world and not grounded in the word.
this is an excellent prayer and reminder. and you are right. things are still very much the same.
yes, specific and angry both. i needed to be reminded.
I have read that prayer before, but was so glad to be reminded of it, and of the fact of how important it is that we do all stand up for our Christian beliefs today. Thank you so much!
Amen! A great post ~ Blessings ~
I have enjoyed reading your posts God Bless you, hope your sister is doing well and finding strength in the Lord.
Blessings
Marnie
I remember this occasion. It made quite a stir in the political world. And it so true. Things have gotten even worse. We need more men like this one to "tell it like it is". Thank you for sharing this with us today.
Blessings,
Charlotte
I heartily agree! God bless you.
wow....pretty powerful and so right on. We have slowly moved away from truth....and have become like the world.
You hit the nail on the head. I am standing with you completely. The prayer was timeless and full of truth. God help us all. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm so glad I stopped by. I'll be back. Come on over and visit at my place if you'd like.
What a powerful prayer! I, like you and others, am so tired of the word "intolerant." I suspect in the future that Christians will have to endure more persecution, so we need to strengthen ourselves and gear up for it. Excellent post!
We need to continue saying this prayer!
God Bless,
Ginger
This is a wonderful prayer.
Banner Advertising Network India
Post a Comment