I've been doing some serious soul searching lately.
But before I get into that, let me tell you,
I have good intentions of writing many a posts.
Some funny,
some serious,
some down right goofy.
However, I often lack the follow through. I get intimidated by the idea of searching for the perfect picture to accompany my thoughts. I fear I will sit down and three hours later resurface to wonder what my family has been doing while I was in blogland... Or worse yet, I'll spend those three hours sharing my thoughts, neglecting my family, and blogger will eat my post
...sigh.
I have a wonderful little story involving chicken poop chapstick and fake dog poop that would make a great read...
real life is always funnier than anything you can make up, if you ask me.
Musings a plenty have run through my head while washing dishes and wondering...
Bible verses I have wanted to share.
Sweet and tender things my blessings and grandblessings have done or said.
Glum feelings I needed to vent...
Inspiring moments of insight that have both frightened
and enlightened my walk as a Christian, a wife, a mother, a friend.
All of the above I have had good intentions of sharing. I have simply failed to put my thoughts down on "paper". I would like to say this is a "turn around post" for me and I am committed to writing one post a week from now until I die. But I know me. I am consistently inconsistent when it comes to blogging. I can keep all of the balls in the air for a bit...Bible study, hubby, kiddos, school, sewing, gardening, house projects, blogging...
but I don't seem to be able to do it all, well, for long.
So. Here I am. In and out.
Since it's been a bit, I have a lot to share. If you have time, make sure you are in a comfy chair, get a nice cup of tea and stay a bit. It may be a while before I get around again. :)
Well, let's get down to it.
My soul searching has been long and ugly.
Uplifting and tear jerking.
Sometimes not pretty, but with beautiful truth in the end.
Here goes.
I have long had a problem with my temper. I am an angry person, but I have not really understood why. Now I know none of us are perfect. All of us get angry sometimes, and it's a legitimate feeling that God gives us...but I have had more than my fair share. My sisters-in-law are mellow. With a capitol M. As are my two closest friends. One is a therapist, and one is a missionary. As a matter of fact, every close girlfriend I have is mellow, able to cope, steady...things I don't always do so well. Go figure. God knew just what I needed, and I do NOT say that lightly. He has surrounded me with beautiful, mellow, patient women to show me the way. But, you can read the Bible all day long and surround yourself with Godly friends, but if you don't do some kick-your-own-butt-deep-down-what-is-going-on-with-me soul searching...you may never realize the root of your problems and attempt to correct them permanently.
Not too long ago I had a meltdown. It wasn't pretty. And after this, my last melt down, I was fed up. Beyond fed up with getting to a point of blowing up on those that I love the most.
What is wrong with me? Why do I get so angry? Most people do not react with the emotions that I do. Now passion has it's place, but using it in venting my anger and spewing and bubbling over with animosity is NOT it! I needed to get to the bottom of things. So I have been reading. and reading. and reading. Thinking, untangling and pondering, unwinding my family history, my habits, my melting points.
Why am I so uptight? What is really causing me to be angry? Who am I really angry with?
And here is what I found.
I have long "prided" myself on being a "doer". I come from a long line of "doers". Women who would and did jump in and do any and everything that needed to be done. That's what the women in our family do. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about the wonderful role that God gives us as caretakers and home makers. I am not bashing this role. I know it is a great blessing. I am talking about often doing above and way beyond what is needed, because that is what we DO in our family.
I began to think of all that my wonderful Grandmother did...and how it was often with a touch of resentment in her voice...and I realized that I have stumbled for years down that same path. When I should have been doing things for others, because that is what I wanted to do, because it brought me joy, to bring others joy... I realized an ugly truth about myself.
I often do things for others because I hope for something in return.
Not monetarily,
but emotionally,
psychologically.
I often try to win favor. Make someone like me better. Respect me more. See what a great worker I am. Know I am always the gal for the job. See that I can do it all.
That's me.
A "doer" from a long line of "doers" thank you very much.
Low self esteem? Maybe? Insecure? Possibly.
Sadly, when we (meaning I) do things with ulterior motives to fulfill a secret need, those needs have rarely gotten fulfilled. I have spent half my life "doing" to impress others...and the other half feeling angry, unappreciated, and neglected because nobody even noticed. How many times I have ticked off a list of "things I have done for my hubby" (or someone else) in my head, feeling extremely unappreciated by him...when they were truly things that did not matter to him at all. And I say that with NO malice. I simply busied myself and my day with unimportant things to impress myself, and others with all that I did.
In reading back over this, I know I sound shallow. I told you it was ugly.
It's not that all my life I've never done anything for anyone else just for the joy of doing it. But I have spent a good portion of my life doing such, without even meaning too.
I believe it to be by God's tender Providence and great mercy that He allowed me to discover a Bible truth reading some secular book on anger. It led me right back to a Bible truth that I had, sadly, not really followed.
We are to do good to all men, hoping for nothing back. We don't give, hoping to get. We don't invite, hoping to get an invitation. We don't "do" hoping someone will NOTICE!
So, I unraveled why I am so often angry. Well, at least a piece of my neurotic little mind. :) I have a long way to go. But I am working on doing what needs to be done. What I can, need and want to do, to help others (and really myself). Because God wants me to. Because I want to help others. Because it gives me joy to give others joy. Because it gives glory to God. And I am letting my pride go. And I am letting the things that don't matter go. And I am letting my false expectations go. The burden that has been lifted from my heart and my shoulders is immense.
A little soul searching is good.
Tough. But good.
Until next time.
Love you all.
Debbie
But before I get into that, let me tell you,
I have good intentions of writing many a posts.
Some funny,
some serious,
some down right goofy.
However, I often lack the follow through. I get intimidated by the idea of searching for the perfect picture to accompany my thoughts. I fear I will sit down and three hours later resurface to wonder what my family has been doing while I was in blogland... Or worse yet, I'll spend those three hours sharing my thoughts, neglecting my family, and blogger will eat my post
...sigh.
I have a wonderful little story involving chicken poop chapstick and fake dog poop that would make a great read...
real life is always funnier than anything you can make up, if you ask me.
Musings a plenty have run through my head while washing dishes and wondering...
Bible verses I have wanted to share.
Sweet and tender things my blessings and grandblessings have done or said.
Glum feelings I needed to vent...
Inspiring moments of insight that have both frightened
and enlightened my walk as a Christian, a wife, a mother, a friend.
All of the above I have had good intentions of sharing. I have simply failed to put my thoughts down on "paper". I would like to say this is a "turn around post" for me and I am committed to writing one post a week from now until I die. But I know me. I am consistently inconsistent when it comes to blogging. I can keep all of the balls in the air for a bit...Bible study, hubby, kiddos, school, sewing, gardening, house projects, blogging...
but I don't seem to be able to do it all, well, for long.
So. Here I am. In and out.
Since it's been a bit, I have a lot to share. If you have time, make sure you are in a comfy chair, get a nice cup of tea and stay a bit. It may be a while before I get around again. :)
Well, let's get down to it.
My soul searching has been long and ugly.
Uplifting and tear jerking.
Sometimes not pretty, but with beautiful truth in the end.
Here goes.
I have long had a problem with my temper. I am an angry person, but I have not really understood why. Now I know none of us are perfect. All of us get angry sometimes, and it's a legitimate feeling that God gives us...but I have had more than my fair share. My sisters-in-law are mellow. With a capitol M. As are my two closest friends. One is a therapist, and one is a missionary. As a matter of fact, every close girlfriend I have is mellow, able to cope, steady...things I don't always do so well. Go figure. God knew just what I needed, and I do NOT say that lightly. He has surrounded me with beautiful, mellow, patient women to show me the way. But, you can read the Bible all day long and surround yourself with Godly friends, but if you don't do some kick-your-own-butt-deep-down-what-is-going-on-with-me soul searching...you may never realize the root of your problems and attempt to correct them permanently.
Not too long ago I had a meltdown. It wasn't pretty. And after this, my last melt down, I was fed up. Beyond fed up with getting to a point of blowing up on those that I love the most.
What is wrong with me? Why do I get so angry? Most people do not react with the emotions that I do. Now passion has it's place, but using it in venting my anger and spewing and bubbling over with animosity is NOT it! I needed to get to the bottom of things. So I have been reading. and reading. and reading. Thinking, untangling and pondering, unwinding my family history, my habits, my melting points.
Why am I so uptight? What is really causing me to be angry? Who am I really angry with?
And here is what I found.
I have long "prided" myself on being a "doer". I come from a long line of "doers". Women who would and did jump in and do any and everything that needed to be done. That's what the women in our family do. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about the wonderful role that God gives us as caretakers and home makers. I am not bashing this role. I know it is a great blessing. I am talking about often doing above and way beyond what is needed, because that is what we DO in our family.
I began to think of all that my wonderful Grandmother did...and how it was often with a touch of resentment in her voice...and I realized that I have stumbled for years down that same path. When I should have been doing things for others, because that is what I wanted to do, because it brought me joy, to bring others joy... I realized an ugly truth about myself.
I often do things for others because I hope for something in return.
Not monetarily,
but emotionally,
psychologically.
I often try to win favor. Make someone like me better. Respect me more. See what a great worker I am. Know I am always the gal for the job. See that I can do it all.
That's me.
A "doer" from a long line of "doers" thank you very much.
Low self esteem? Maybe? Insecure? Possibly.
Sadly, when we (meaning I) do things with ulterior motives to fulfill a secret need, those needs have rarely gotten fulfilled. I have spent half my life "doing" to impress others...and the other half feeling angry, unappreciated, and neglected because nobody even noticed. How many times I have ticked off a list of "things I have done for my hubby" (or someone else) in my head, feeling extremely unappreciated by him...when they were truly things that did not matter to him at all. And I say that with NO malice. I simply busied myself and my day with unimportant things to impress myself, and others with all that I did.
In reading back over this, I know I sound shallow. I told you it was ugly.
It's not that all my life I've never done anything for anyone else just for the joy of doing it. But I have spent a good portion of my life doing such, without even meaning too.
I believe it to be by God's tender Providence and great mercy that He allowed me to discover a Bible truth reading some secular book on anger. It led me right back to a Bible truth that I had, sadly, not really followed.
We are to do good to all men, hoping for nothing back. We don't give, hoping to get. We don't invite, hoping to get an invitation. We don't "do" hoping someone will NOTICE!
So, I unraveled why I am so often angry. Well, at least a piece of my neurotic little mind. :) I have a long way to go. But I am working on doing what needs to be done. What I can, need and want to do, to help others (and really myself). Because God wants me to. Because I want to help others. Because it gives me joy to give others joy. Because it gives glory to God. And I am letting my pride go. And I am letting the things that don't matter go. And I am letting my false expectations go. The burden that has been lifted from my heart and my shoulders is immense.
A little soul searching is good.
Tough. But good.
Until next time.
Love you all.
Debbie





17 comments:
Oh Debbie I think you are way to hard on yourself, but I so respect how hard you are working on your anger. You are a lovely lady with a beautiful family and I am sure many friends who love you just for you.....you just have to trust that. They love you for you.....God Bless sweetie, keeping you, your family and Shauna and her family in my heart and prayers always.......:-) Hugs
Debbie, this post must have been so hard to write...i have a little anger problem myself...sometimes...thanks for sharing your story...it might be just what i needed today...to take a closer look at myself...have a wonderful weekend!!!
I guess we all have a little ugly that lies just under the surface of who people see. I struggle with fierce temper too, so I can empathize with you. I just read The Shack and came away struck by the bigness of God's love for me. And how to I want to live so that I can reflect just a little of it back to Him.
Thanks for the soul-sharing. It was both convicting and uplifting for me.
Alison
DEAR DEBBIE,
WE ALL HAVE OUR DEAMONS WE BATTLE, AND ALTHOUGH I AGREE WITH BERNIE,YOUR POST WAS VERY INSPIRATIONAL AND WILL HELP ALL OF US TO WORK ON THOSE THINGS IN US THAT WE DON'T LIKE. IT IS A WONDERFUL THING WHEN WE HUMBLE OURSELVES AND RECEIVE GOD'S GRACE AND MERCY.
YOU'RE OKAY AND HAVE MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. WHAT MAKES ME ANGRY IS ARTIFICIAL PEOPLE WHO ONLY DO THINGS FOR RECOGNITION OR THEY DON'T DO IT. THERE ARE NO PERFECT PEOPLE WALKING THIS HUMAN RACE. JESUS IS THE ONLY PERFECT MAN I EVER MET AND IT WAS A BROKEN DEBBIE AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS.
BLESSINGS TO YOU DEBBIE
YOU MAY EMAIL ME AT ANY TIME.
ANGEL HUGS
DEBBIE
I love you so dearly and I know that there are times that you do things for others because you just really want to...you have done so many wonderful things for me and my family.
You are so sweet and giving.
I'm sorry that you struggle with anger but when you channel that passion for good~ an amazing thing is created that few people can ever rival.
and don't feel obliged to post on the blog if you don't want to ~ I don't stress about it anymore and you shouldn't either.
I hope that you have a lovely day today~
and Bernie is right~~~
I love you just for you!!
Hugs~
Chasity
Thank you dear friends and family for your sweet and uplifting comments. This was a very tough post to right, but I felt necessary for me. I really am o.k. I don't think I am a rotten person, just one that was deceiving herself and needed to change. And I'm hopeful I can encourage others that may be unnecessarily burdening themselves as well. Life is just too short and loved ones too precious. And Chas, I'm not stressed at all about our blog. That's the joy of all of this. I feel LESS stress than I have felt for a very long time. You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. :)
Love you all. Have a super day.
Debbie
Debbie, thank you so much for bearing your soul to us. This brought tears to my eyes, because their are times when I really struggle with doing things hoping that I will get noticed. You touched my heart today and for that I thank you.
Debbie, I think you are a super person, and I think that we all have blemishes that need to be rubbed off. I have been short tempered lately, too, and I hate it. I get on my face before God and repent, but then I lose it with the man at the paint store. Then I have to apologize, and say, I'm under stress. So I took off yesterday afternoon and this morning to blog, and hopefully I can go back rested and able to deal with this very stressful situation I have found myself in... the oil paint wrinkled on the porches and had to be ALL stripped off (don't ask!) as it was supposed to be a two day job tops and has stretched into weeks. Sigh. This too shall pass. I just hope I can act more like His child from here out.
XO,
Sheila :-)
Debbie, it takes guts to look inside and put it in black and white for everyone to see it and I respect that, but ...don't be so hard on yourself because I'm sure that if you take another look you will find many things that you admire about yourself. Focus your attention on those and multiply them. Lots of love!
Debbie, what an honest and soul searching post for all of us to read....I think we all have faults that we constantly have to work on, and good for you for taking the time to look into yourself and learn more about who you are, that is most important...You are an inspiration as we all need to sit back sometimes and really inspect our lives and decide what and who is most important! Thank you for being you and sharing!
Dear Debbie, We've "traveled" a few miles together. Love you, my friend.
You know that blogger auto saves your posts? If you click on the edit post button, it takes you to all your posts you have written even if you haven't published them yet and saves them as drafts?
Just hoping to add some sunlight to your day and hoping that you can go back and recover the ones you wanted to share.
Stop by when you can, I miss seeing you.
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
Debbie,
You are an amazing friend, a wonderful mother, an incredible teacher...I could go on! We all have things we need to be working on to be better servants of God. You are not alone. But, thank you for sharing...You are such an encouragement to me.
Thank you!
Ah Mrs. Debbie, this brought tears to my eyes. Good for you for being so honest with yourself. You and yours are always in my prayers. I love you!
and you are not alone on that road...believe me....more than you will ever know...thank you Debbie for opening up to your fellow blogerz....you will be rewarded ten fold for doing that!
Hugz, Nancy
I agree with Bernie, you are too hard on yourself. You said you have many mellow , caring , loving friends. They must see the good in you to hang around. God loves you, he will soften your heart and change you.. sometimes it takes time.. it has taken me years and years to get where I am as a person , a christian and I still have a long way to go. Be kind and forgiving or yourself along with others. I think it is great that you are finding the joy in doing for others and giving to others. It really is a great feeling. Remember if God had a refriderator your picture would be on it. a wallet, your picture would be in it... a book of life... your name IS written in it.
Blessings always.
Your sister in Christ
Gwen
Sweet Debbie, your speaking for all of us out here. I too have battled anger and a quick temper. With God and age I have learned when I am angered I have to do something physical to channel it into something positive. Did it come easy, nope! Was it easy...double nope.
I was raised with a father I was never good enough for, hence my perfectionism. We all want recognition for a job well done. Most the time a simple 'thanks' will rock our world. Pass the oar baby, your so not in this boat alone.
God bless ya and have yourself a marvelous Monday.
Thank you for opening up and bein' so honest for us all.
Post a Comment